1997: 12 women pose for a photograph. Sarah Jane is posed in middle, between two important women, dressed in black with an ornate gold brooch. Her hair is cut with modern perfection and she screams of sophistication with beauty and grace. Sarah is a member of this Sisterhood.
Ladue News October 3rd 1997.
About the Cover: Celebrating Sign of the Arrow’s 31st anniversary. Pictured on the cover, bottom row, Jan Good, Vice President, Sarah Cappiello, philanthropy chair, Mary Gordon, President.
Historical Perspective: Phi Beta Phi Fraternity for Women was founded on April 28, 1867 at Monmouth College in Illinois, as the first national secret society for women. The objectives of the fraternity are to cultivate friendships: to establish the real objects of life; to promote happiness of humanity and to encourage and assist members in moral, mental and social advancement.
In 1997, she was a mother and head of philanthropy for the Sign of the Arrow, a consignment shop, known for crafting and high ends Clayton housewife needs and a front for Phi Beta Phi.. Volunteers run the shop and as of 1997…had raised 2.1 million for charity.
Sarah was born in Union, Missouri, tiny slice of Americana to a local teacher and car salesman. She worked her way to college on her own hard work and merits gaining a scholarship from a Department Store in St Louis. Sarah graduated from University of Missouri in the class of 1971. Member of Phi Beta Phi.
Sarah married a Lawyer from Connecticut and got the big house in York Village near Ladue as she worked the 1980s away, growing through her work in textiles, advertising, sales managing and marketing.
In 1991 suffered a miscarriage. She was in her late 30’s trying to conceive. Phi Beta Phi sent a note, wishing her well and thanking her for her budgeting advice for the Fraternity.
On January 8th of the year 1993, John Augustus Cappiello was born and baptized by the 16th. Sarah was 39 years old.
- 1997 she posed with her Sisters at Phi Beta Phi, in an all important seat between the powerful women of Clayton and Ladue, housewives, lawyers, doctors, and wealthy elite women.
- 1999, her husband took her to Paris fulfilling a lifetime dream. She brought back fashion, rare kitchen devices and a lot of memorabilia from France.
- 2016 that memorabilia would end up next to a dumpster only a few years after her death. Her adult son would stand crying in front of the house as he abandoned the things his mother loved. Tale of Two Sarahs.
- 2020 the rest of Sarah’s paperwork ended up in a Scrapbook called Working Girl.
Pagoda Licensing –Director of Communications gets a fax from the licensing department at Disney. November 14th 1986.
Minnie Mouse has emerged from Mickey’s Shadow to assume a dazzling new image. Dubbed “Totally Minnie” by The Walt Disney Company, Pagoda Licensing has discovered this woman of the Eighties can indeed make it on her own.
York Village Drive
Comparing signs, Sarah Jane helps design and order the new street signs for the York Village Neighborhood association.
Sarah Jane Murray b: 6-15-53
University of Missouri 1971
- Intermediate Clothing …B
- Consumer in Society …C
- Accounting …C
- Exposition English ….A
- Fashion World …B
- Clothing Behavior & Society …C
- Tailoring …B
- Fashion and costume …A
Robert Cappiello is from Connecticut.
He was accepted into Yale to practice Medicine, but took Law at Saint Louis University. He got his membership to the Missouri Bar on January 31st 1983.
Murray – Cappiello – Marriage Announcement
Mrs Cyrus Edward Murray of Union announces the engagement of her daughter, Sarah Jane to Robert Cappiello son of Mr and Mrs. Louis J Cappiello of Orange Connecticut. Miss Murray is the daughter of the late Cyrus Edward Murray.
Mrs Sarah Louise Murray also has a scrapbook, the content is mostly of her life as a teacher. She wrote a poem she gave to students about the importance of spending time with your children. To play when they want to play, and engage often. Sarah Jane was bred to be the perfect Mother.
- Union High school – President Student Council
- Stix, Baer and Fuller
- Part time and summer employment
- Outstanding Merchandising Student
- University of Missouri
- Bachelor of Science of Home economics
- Fashion Merchandising
- Mizzou Tiger Hostess
- M.U. Fashion Board
- Phi Beta Phi Sorority
- An associate Shoe Buyer, responsible for purchasing, manufacturer negotiation and implementation of all advertising.
- Wohl Shoe Company
- Associate merchandise manager – Sasson Line
- Product Manager.
- Pagoda Licensing -Director of Communications
- Big Enough -Area Sales Manager
- Sign of the Times – Philanthropy Chair
Cappiello, Sarah Jane (nee Murray) Joyfully home with the Lord, Sunday, Dec. 22, 2013. Beloved wife of Robert Anthony Cappiello, loving mother of John Augustus (Gus), dear sister of Cyrus Edward Murray Jr., devoted daughter of the late Cyrus Edward and Sarah John Murray, dear sister-in-law, aunt, cousin, and faithful friend. Services: Funeral Mass at St. Anselm, 530 S. Mason Rd., Saturday, Dec. 28, 2:30 p.m. Visitors will be received prior to the Mass at 2:00. In lieu of flowers, Sarah expressed gratitude for any donations made to the Pi Beta Phi Foundation Friendship Fund which supports scholarship, leadership and literacy programs: pibetaphifoundation.org/donate/fri endship-fund